Monday, January 18, 2016

My life as a hockey writer: habs4life, Rocket Fire Fan Profile

In October, I started writing for a Habs website. Within a few weeks, I came up up with Rocket Fire Fan Profile. In late December, I asked Alan Doyle if he would like to participate, and he said yes!

This interview originally appeared online at habs4life.ca on January 10th. Here it is in its entirety!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome back to Rocket Fire Fan Profile! You'll recall that last week, I told you a big interview was coming, and here it is!

Please enjoy this interview with Alan Doyle (@alanthomasdoyle on Twitter) - musician (former Great Big Sea, Alan Doyle and the Beautiful Gypsies), actor (A Whale For the Killing, Robin Hood, A Winter’s Tale, Republic of Doyle), author (Canadian Non Fiction Best Seller’s List - Where I Belong) and proud long time Habs fan!

When did you become a fan?

In the late 70’s when I was 8 or 9 years old, the Habs won four Stanley Cups in a row. I was infatuated with the team and the city.

How did you become a fan?

The only way possible at the time,Saturday Night Hockey Night in Canada on CBC.

Earliest Habs memories?

Watching Ken Dryden lift the Cup, and noticing the fans in Montreal dressed fancy for the games.

Favourite player past and/or present? Why?

Ken Dryden.  He was a goalie like me and was not like everyone else in the game.  He did not look, talk, or act like the others.

Favourite thing(s) about the Habs?

The passion the city has for the team.

First time you saw them win a Cup?

Not sure, honestly.  It would have been around 1978 I guess.  They won a bunch back then and I’m not totally sure which one I saw first.

Most prized Habs possession?

A photo of me and my brother Bernie with Ken Dryden after GBS sang at the NHL All Star Game in Denver.

If you had your choice of number, which jersey would you wear, and why?

29 of course.  Ken Dryden’s number.

Anything to add?

I don’t think there is a sports franchise anywhere in the world that occupies the same place of reverence in the community as the Habs. They are simply the most important sports team in history.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's the link to the original interview

No comments:

Post a Comment