Thursday, January 1, 2015

Been a Long time now...

God, it feels like forever since I've written in this space. Not to make excuses, but my old tablet broke, and my computer isn't hooked up to the internet, which left me with just my iPod touch as my sole connection to the internet. On top of that, my iPod is fussy at best, so I wasn't going to tempt fate and try installing the blogger app on it- it would've been too big a headache. But that's all changed now you see. So on NYE I broke down and bought a new tablet, and things have become oh so much easier. So now I have the blogger app again, and I'm ready to write! So with that said, here goes!

Last I checked, I left off with a post about hockey and the Habs untimely exit from the playoffs. I was feeling a whole range of emotions then, and not much has changed in the 7+ months since then. I still despise Chris Kreider, and I suspect I will for a long time. Habs fans don't forget. But thankfully a new season is upon us, and as I type, the Habs sit 2nd in the Atlantic division (24-11-2) only two points behind Tampa. With a back to back against New Jersey and Pittsburgh on Friday and Saturday, I don't expect this to be the case for very long.

So, its been interesting since I've last been here. The last 7 months saw me get more tattoos; (and I love getting inked, so I know you can guess how I've been this year) 3 more actually, and I love each of them.

My first tattoo this year was on May 15 (before my old tablet broke). For a long time up to that point, I'd had toyed with the idea of getting a Great Big Sea tattoo, but didn't know exactly what to get. I didn't want it to be obvious and just have the band's name on my leg, but I didn't want it to be obscure either. What I finally decided on was the artwork from the album Play. As all you GBS fans reading know, the Play cover featured little bobblehead fella- affectionately known as Dabs (Darrell, Alan, Bob, Sean), who would also make an appearance in the video for the song When I'm Up (I Can't Get Down). Somehow I just knew that he'd be perfect. And I wasn't wrong :) I later tweeted the four original band members the picture of my tattoo, and got retweets from Bob and Darrell.

June was fairly uneventful, but that turned out to be a good thing because July more than made up for it. There was the Clarenville Days Dance where Síle and I got to see The Navigators (Arthur O'Brien and Fred Jorgenson) perform. Love those guys! They're fast becoming one of my favourite bands!

Later that month was Garden Cove Day, and although I had tweeted Alan about it, I was certain he wasn't coming, as he'd had a late night the night before. So imagine my surprise when I look up from the game I was working, and see him standing there. I think that even said something along the lines of "I didn't think you were going to be here today!" Y'see, his Uncle Ronnie's band was celebrating their 50th anniversary the night before, and since he'd been a part of the band for a while, Alan also took part. Through conversation we had after I finished my hour at the Plinko game, I learned that he'd only gotten 3 hours sleep before heading out for the festivities of the day. I showed him the above tattoo, and he grinned: Way to go girl, was his response :) 3/4 ain't bad! 

He also got in the dunk tank, and drew quite a crowd. No, I wasn't the one who dunked him, because I was taking pictures of the entire thing. Poor guy, I don't think he thought he was actually going to get dunked! Here's a photo of him, soaking wet, and then a fun selfie we got together. 

If July was fantastic, then August was even more so! Early August saw Síle and I head into St. John's as Alan was headlining the final night of the 2014 George Street Festival. While there, we got to meet the federal NDP leader Tom Mulcair (Thank you Amelia), and became friends with a fellow fan named Sheila (who was from Saskatchewan- what are the odds?) and left with sore throats and tender feet. But it was all worth it. Here's a few pictures from the show:




There are more on Facebook if you're interested.

September, not much on the go,  except my birthday (29- holy crap). Pretty good as far as birthdays go. Definitely not looking forward to my 30th!

October saw the second new tattoo (4th overall) of 2014, one that I had been wanting for a long time- my Habs one. My tattoo artist and I talked it over, and nailed down a design that I liked. Anyone who knows me well knows how much I love my Montreal Canadiens, so it just made sense to have a tattoo done to celebrate my fandom. This was the final product:


I later tweeted a picture of it to several Habs players, and got a reply from Brandon Prust. One of my greatest moments as a fan!

Also, due to my enduring fandom, I won a copy of Alan's book- Where I Belong. I had ordered a copy of it, as preordered copies were guaranteed to be signed. To paraphrase the man from CBC "because you stayed on the line so long without talking to Alan, we decided that you deserved a copy." Proof that being a devoted fan pays off. Here's my signed copy I won:

November, oh November... You were perfect, you know that? 

Síle and I went to St. John's in early that month for a benefit concert for Gord O'Brien, who after 75 years had to close his family run music store. So some of Newfoundland's finest got together to raise money to help him out. Front and center we were, and enjoyed every moment. And while the show was fantastic, my highlight of the night would come after the show. Síle and I made our way over to the barrier that separated the crowd from the musicians where we waited for my chance to see the host of the night, Alan Doyle. When he came out from backstage, I got his attention and instead of just coming straight to the barrier he made his way around it and came straight to me. What happened next surprised me. Without hesitation Alan pulled me in for a hug and then asked in a concerned voice "So how have you been doing girl?" Better yet, the hug lasted just a bit longer than normal. 

Then I worked up the courage to ask him for something I needed from him- handwritten lyrics from "Ordinary Day". I explained that I wanted the second half of the chorus, and he couldn't remember it, so he asked " How does that go again? " to which I replied "At the end of the day, you've just got to say its alright." As he took a sharpie and started writing, I explained that it was for a tattoo, which confused him, but then he doesn't know the whole story. Perhaps someday I'll be brave enough to tell him. Here's how the lyrics looked:

Fast forward a few weeks and I have an appointment to get the lyrics tattooed on my leg. I was actually a bit nervous about getting this one done because I wanted I to be perfect. But my fears were for naught, as the tattoo turned out perfect:


That brings us up to December. Normally I really enjoy Christmas, but I really had a hard time getting into it this time. The tree was up, presents were bought and wrapped, everything was done. I even participated in the Santa Claus Parade in Garden Cove. And although it was raining, I had a good time, but I still felt the blues. It wasn't until the Celtic Christmas show and After Party that I finally felt the Christmas spirit. Much thanks to Con, Pat, Robert, Arthur for the laughs, tunes, and all good things. 

Went to Garden Cove for Christmas Eve and part of Christmas Day, where I got to spend time with both my folks and one of my big sisters. Best Christmas in a long time. 

So, that's everything, unless I remember more. Can't wait to see what the rest of 2015 holds in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment