Thursday, May 8, 2014

Greatest Habs Memory (so far)

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was my last day in an all too brief first visit to Toronto. I wanted to make the most of my day, so while two friends went to a house concert, my other friend, along with our nephew, decided to visit the Hockey Hall of Fame.

It was 2009, the year of the Habs Centennial, and the Hall was filled with so many pieces of Habs memorabilia. Everywhere I looked, my eyes lit up. As I stepped into the replica of the dressing room, jerseys all hung up, equipment set up much in the way I imagine it would've been, I couldn't help but imagine what it would be like to be one of those players, sitting in their stalls, preparing to do battle with their rivals on the ice.

Each display was more wonderful than the next. How my eyes lit up when I saw a picture of The Rocket, his eyes nearly smiling back at me. I wondered then he if felt the same pride in the C-H as I did, but in my mind, I already knew the answer. Of course he did. I felt just as proud to love the Habs as he did to play for them.

As I gazed at Andrei Markov's jersey, I was almost transported to that Bell Centre ice, could almost feel the roar of 21,000+ fans as his name was announced. I could only imagine the pride he felt that night, magnified by the magical night.

But I knew my trip to the Hall wouldn't be complete with one thing: seeing the Stanley Cup; the holy grail of hockey. So I followed the signs and made my way up the staircase to where it rested. When I entered the trophy hall, I was in pure awe. I marveled at all the trophies, thought of what skill and hard work it must've taken for each of those men to win that particular trophy; the sacrifice and dedication they had to their sport.

Never was that feeling stronger than when I finally laid eyes on the Stanley Cup. In my head I could see the greats of the past lifting it high above their heads in celebration, realizing a childhood dream. Knowing that you've reached the highest point of your hockey career; that for that moment in time, you were a champion.  My heart soared just being near it, so I can only imagine what it's like to actually lift it.

I may never be able to experience that, but at least seeing it has been my greatest Habs memory so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment