Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I believe there's something beautiful...

It hit me earlier, listening to a song, did inspiration. The song was 'Something Beautiful', a poignant GBS tune from the album of the same name.


For the last 11 days, I have been struggling to make sense of the death of a friend. It seemed so senseless, so pointless that someone so young, with so much good happening to her, should be taken at the peak of her life.

"Hey you, you've lost your only friend..."

Well, she wasn't my only friend, but over the four months that I knew her, we had gotten to be good friends. 

"You can't believe your broken heart will ever mend..."

For the first four or five days after her death, this felt like my life. My heart was broken, the hurt ran so deep, and I didn't know if I would ever be happy again. All I knew was that I had to try.

"But every mountain has it's faces that would make you want to stop
On this so unwelcome journey from the bottom to the top..."

Death is a very unwelcome thing. We all spend so much of our lives fearing it, for we know not the day, the hour, or the time that it will happen to us. And when it happens to those around us, we are cruelly reminded of just how short and precious life can be.

"Move along, I believe there's something beautiful to see
Move along, I believe there's something beautiful
Move along, I believe there's something beautiful
Just waiting for you and me..."

But this writer wonders why we fear it? When our own time comes, we will be going to a much better place. A place where there is no pain or suffering, a place where there is only happiness. We'll get to see loved ones that we mourned for so long, and rejoice in their company once more.

"I know you'll never count the tears you've cried..."

Those first few days after her death, I cried my eyes out. I cried so much that it hurt. I honestly wondered how a person could cry so much. And just when I thought I was fine, the tears would start all over again.

"And though you've asked a million questions, no one can tell you why..."

I questioned it, for sure. It just didn't make sense to me. How could such a good person be gone? How could her time on Earth truly be done? How could someone who had made such an impact on so many others suddenly be taken away, without warning? These were questions that I asked myself over and over. But nobody answered, and I'm still left wondering.

"A single soul is chosen to be the one put to the test,
But there will be some consolation for a heart that never rests..."

It felt like I was being tested. How much hurt could one heart handle? I didn't think it was possible to hurt as much as I did. I didn't want to eat. I couldn't sleep. But I didn't want to get out of bed. I wanted to shut the world out, and make it go away, as if that would make things better. Of course it didn't help.

But slowly things are starting to get better. It's almost as if I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. A ship wreck survivor finally finding their way to land. I still don't understand the death, but I have accepted it. My friend is in a better place, and I'll get to see her again some day.

"The years will make us older, the winters make us colder..."

Time will pass me by, will pass all of us by, and its up to us to make the most of the time that we have, while we still have it. Life is precious, and shouldn't be taken for granted.

"And there's one more thing I've come to know for sure
There's no bitterness that smolders, no chip on any shoulder
That a random act of kindness couldn't cure..."

We need to try to be happy, and if we can't we should try looking at the bright side of things, for there is always someone who has it worse than we do, someone who has lost more, or is going through worse. What we need to remember is that this too shall pass.

"So hey you, you lost your only friend
You can't believe your broken heart will ever mend
But every mountain has its faces, that'd make you wanna stop
On this never-ending journey from the bottom to the top."

Words of inspiration today. Life goes on. That broken heart will mend, and you will find more friends. Life is a journey that ultimately must end in death, and while it is unwelcome, we all must learn to deal with that sad fate, no matter how much it scares us to.

Take a listen to the song here

Cheers,
Krista

2 comments:

  1. My heart is with you...as are my thoughts...Life is short, be as good as you can and leave this world with no regrets.

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks the great post . Whitewater would want us to be happy, I know that in my heart of hearts.
    ~Fish

    ReplyDelete