Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sail Me Away...part 16

By the end of the night, Liam is Claire's new favourite person. She's discovered he can sing, and tugs on his shirt before bed."Sing lullaby Liam?"


He grins. Johnny hadn't asked for lullabies for the last couple years. "Sure sweetie," he replies. He's growing quite fond of Claire. Once Jane has her tucked into bed, and she has Merlin safely tucked in with her, Liam starts to sing:


Twinkle, twinkle, little star
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high
Like a diamond in the sky
Twinkle, twinkle, little star
How I wonder what you are!



When the blazing sun is gone,
When he nothing shines upon,
Then you show your little light,
Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!

Then the traveler in the dark
Thanks you for your tiny spark;
He could not see which way to go,
If you did not twinkle so.
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!


By the time he finishes, Claire is out like a light. "She's perfect," he whispers as he and Jane head out to the living room, his arm wrapped around her. "You're lucky to have such a little angel like her."


Jane laughs. "She's not always this good. She's a little actress that one."


Liam smiles. "I wouldn't believe someone that cute could be that bad."


Jane tilts her head, and her mouth tilts up into a half smile. "I'm looking at someone."


Liam gives Jane an odd look. "Me? Cute . . . and bad?"


Jane moves closer to Liam. "Definitely cute. And we got up to some naughty deeds."


Liam laughs. "True enough."


"You up for a round or two?"


Liam grins. "How could I not be?"


* * * * *
"I know how you must feel about my folks not liking you," Jane says, resting her head on Liam's chest. "Jake's  parents didn't much like me."


"How could they not?"


"They were convinced that I was ruining his life by having a baby so young. They thought he should live his life before having a child. But they couldn't see that it was what he wanted. They eventually hounded him so much that he couldn't take it any more, and he went to the nearest hotel room and ended his own life." Tears slip down Jane's cheeks.


"You didn't deserve that," Liam whispers, wiping away Jane's tears, and pushing her hair out of her face. "And  neither did Claire."


"Promise me you won't do that? I would hate for this child not to have his or her father around."


Liam smiles. "I will always be here Jane. You can count on that."

No comments:

Post a Comment