Sunday, November 3, 2013

New poetry- "1000 Words"

A little while ago, I learned that a friend of mine was going to a Great Big Sea show, and I asked her that if she got a chance could she tell Alan that I send my love and that I say hi? Well, that show was two days ago, and I'm very happy to say that she did indeed get to pass on that message! 

As she tells it, they were chatting, and it was after he gave her a birthday kiss that she passed on my message, saying " Krista sends her love and wanted me to say hi to you from her." 

She said that he then took her hand, smiled and said "Yes, please tell Krista hi back from me."

Now maybe I'm just a sap, and maybe I'm reading too much into this, but the way in which he told her to say hi back was very kind. It still blows my little mind that after all these years, Alan still remembers me. I never thought that when I met him more than 10 years ago that he would still remember me today.

I think it's because I don't expect people to remember me. I honestly think "Why would (insert name here) remember me? What's so important about me that (insert name here) still knows who I am?"

I really can't explain it. But I do know how it makes me feel. Important. Here he is, a star- many albums under his belt, several movies, a book due to drop next year- with thousands of fans, yet I'm one of the ones he remembers. Me? I never thought that someone so important would remember me. 

I sat and thought about it a while after my friend told me, and then I started to express my feelings the best way I knew how. I wrote. 

Alan, if you somehow see this, I want you to know how much your kindness means to me. Maybe someday I'll be able to tell you what you've done for me. But for now, this poem will have to do:

A picture is worth a thousand words
That's how the old saying goes
But why do I struggle to find them
When I need them the most?

How do I begin to thank you
I really don't know what to say
To a person that can cheer me up
On my very bluest of days.

Like a lighthouse beacon through the fog
When it seems all hope is gone
You'll give me the encouragement that I need
And I find the strength to go on

So how do I say thanks for everything 
The kindness throughout the years
The words that have kept me strong
When I was on the verge of tears?

I don't know how to put into words
The thoughts going through my mind
I could sit here and think on it all day
And the words I could never find

Yes a picture is worth a thousand words
That old saying is definitely true 
But for now I'll use just a couple
And they're simply to say: thank you!



Krista 


No comments:

Post a Comment