Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sail Me Away...part 8

As Liam watches the backs of his friends and family getting smaller as they walk away, he shakes his head in disbelief. "You speak French really well," he says to Jane.

"Well, one would have to, growing up in la Belle Province."

"You're from Montreal?"

"I am." She smiles. "You'll never guess who my grandfather is."

"If you say he played for the Habs . . ."

"He did."

"Who?"

"Serge Savard."

"No way."

Jane nods. "Mom and Dad married young, when Grandpa was in his late 30's...39. He and Grandma had my Mom when they were both in their early 20s."

"Lemme see if I got this right. Your maternal grandfather is none other than the legendary 'Senator" Serge Savard?"

Jane nods. "Why do you think my middle name is Aubrey? I was named after him."

Liam can't believe it. The woman he'd just made love to all night long was none other than the granddaughter of Serge Savard. "Sure, I grew up watching him play!"

Jane laughs. "I hear that all the time, you know? He gave me the puck from his last game. I was there when he got inducted into the Hall of Fame, even if I was just a year old. You know, he came on this cruise with me, when no one else would."

Liam swallows the lump in his throat. "You brought your Grandpa with you?"

Jane nods again. "I am to meet him for dinner. You could come, if you like."

"That'd be great!" Liam exclaims. He can't help it. He sweeps Jane into his arms."How's about another romp, and then some breakfast?"

Jane smiles. "You're on!"

No comments:

Post a Comment