Monday, February 14, 2011

Sail Me Away...part 12

She can't be serious, can she? She's not really pregnant, right? This was just a joke? Liam shakes his head, and immediately dismisses the idea of it being a joke. A woman would not joke about this sort of thing. Especially not Jane.

But what was he going to do? There was no doubt in his mind that this was his child that she was carrying. First things first, though. What did she want? What did Jane want? This was her body that would be carrying this baby, if she so chose to do so. "What do you want to do?"

He cared. He actually cared. He wanted to know what SHE wanted. "I . . . I don't know Liam. This baby wasn't exactly planned, and I don't know if I can handle another child right now. . ."

Oh God, how he wanted to hold her right now. "I want you to know that you're not alone in this. I'll support you in anything you want to do. We're both responsible for that life, and I'm not going to let you go through this alone."

"You mean that?"

"I mean that Jane. We both played a part in making that child, and if you so choose to keep him or her, I will support you in any way you need. I will be there for you and for the child we made."

"So, you'd be okay with me keeping the baby and going through with the pregnancy?"

Liam's heart leaps up into his throat. She wanted to keep the baby? Oh joy, oh happy day. Since Marie had died,  and their unborn child with her, his heart had hoped that someday he would know the joy that came with having a child again. And he so desperately wanted Johnny to have a little brother or sister. Now, if Jane was truly serious about keeping this baby, Johnny would have that. "I'd be more than okay with that Jane. In fact, I would love it if you kept the baby. He or she didn't ask to get made, but now that that's happened, we owe it to ourselves, and to this child, to see this through, and be the best parents that we can be."

Jane's eyes fill with tears. This was the best possible reaction she could have hoped for. She and Liam hardly knew each other. They never dated. All they'd done was mess up the bed sheets multiple times in the three days they'd known each other on the cruise. Now she was carrying his child. "But how are we going to raise this child when we live in two different provinces?"

"Good question," Liam thinks to himself. Just how were they going to raise this baby if they lived so far apart? "I'm not sure Jane, but we'll figure it out. I promise you that. First things first though, have you seen a doctor yet?"

"Not yet," Jane replies. "I just found out only 20 minutes ago."

"Make me a promise then? Let me know when you do have an appointment? I'd like to be there for the first ultrasound."

Jane smiles, although Liam cannot see it. "You'd hop on a plane just to see an ultrasound?"

"Not just the ultrasound. You. I'd like to see you, and perhaps take you on a real date. Say supper and a hockey game?"

"That would be great." Jane hasn't admitted til now, but in the three short days that she had known him, she had taken a liking to Liam."I have missed you."

"I've missed you too." And that was the truth. He couldn't get Jane out of his mind. "And I'd like to spend some time getting to know you better, if that's alright right with you?"

"I'd love that," Jane replies, smiling. God, if he asked her to, she'd up and move with him to St.John's tomorrow. "I'd love to get to know you better."

No comments:

Post a Comment