Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sail Me Away...part 14

She'd seen that look in a man's eyes before. It's the same look she had seen in Jake's eyes the night he had told her he loved her. It's the same look her parents had in their eyes when they looked at each other after all these years. Love. They were in love. And she suspects Liam is in love with her. And while she does care for him, she's not in love, not yet.

"Is there anything I can get you?" he asks.

Jane feels a growl from her stomach. And it's loud enough that Liam can hear it. "Well, I am a little bit hungry."

Liam smiles and grabs his suitcase. "Then we'll eat. Your choice."

"Oh no, I couldn't ask you to. . ."

"You didn't ask. I'm offering."

"But I. . ."

"Jane, I want to take care of you and of our baby. And if you're hungry, we should go find a place to eat."

"I promised Mom and Dad I wouldn't be gone long . . ."

"We'll bring dinner back."

Jane grins. "Okay then, that works."

"Anything you and the little rugrat want?"

Jane smiles. "Well, now that you mention it. . ."

"You name it, and it's yours."

"Pizza?"

Liam laughs. "You could have anything, and you want pizza?"

"Yes."

Liam rub's a hand over Jane's belly, and then they make their way to her car. "One pizza coming up."

* * * * *
"Mama, Papa, this is Liam. Liam Gallagher. Liam, these are my parents, Karen and Joseph."

Joesph extends a hand to Liam, which Liam accepts."Nice to meet you."

Jane swallows the lump in her throat. They wouldn't think it so nice to meet him when they found out why he was in Montreal. "Mama, Papa, remember that cruise I went on?"

Karen nods.

"Well, I met Liam on the cruise. And we hit it off." She pulls Liam aside. "How would you feel if I told them the news?"

"About the baby?"

Jane nods.

"Now is just as good a time as any to tell them." Liam takes Jane's hand.

"Mama, Papa , the reason I wanted you to meet Liam is because.. . he's the father of my baby. I'm pregnant."

Joe immediately turns a brilliant shade of red. "You . . .you're old enough to be her father!"

"Papa! I'm not a baby anymore!"

"Janie, he is old enough to be your father."

Jane digs her heels in. "I don't care."

"Do you even love each other?"

Liam and Jane look at each other. Jane had sworn earlier that she wasn't in love, but if she was truly honest with herself. . . "Of course I do! He's the father of my baby!"

Liam smiles at Jane's proclamation. "And I love her too Mr. Callaghan." This man couldn't be more than two, three years older than him, but that didn't mean he wasn't going to be respectful. "And I am going to take care of her and this baby."

"Just how are you going to do that when you do not live here?"

Jane gives her father a look. "I will move where he lives."

"Jane!" this from her mother.

"I am serious mother!"

"What about Claire?"

"She and I will be fine."

"But you don't know anyone there!"

Liam puts an arm around Jane, in support. "They'll have me."

"Jane Aubrey Callaghan, you can't be serious!" Her mother is in tears. Her father is fuming.

"No daughter of mine is.. ."

"Papa, I am 26. I am not a little girl anymore!"

Joe storms out the door. Karen discreetly follows. Jane collapses into Liam's arms. She hadn't expected her parents to act in that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment