Friday, October 25, 2013

My Weight Loss Journey

Since I was in my teens, I have struggled with my weight. I was active, but not overly so, and lets face it, didn't always eat all the right things. But there were never massive gains, so I never thought about it much.

That was, until I had a dream one June night. In the dream, I could see what my weight was, and I wasn't happy with it. The next morning when I got up, I did something I haven't done in a long time. I stepped on the scale.

When the number - 251.4 - came up, I was both horrified and embarrassed that I'd let my weight get that far out of control. And it was at that moment that I decided that enough was enough and that I was going to make a change for the better.

But where to start right? Well my roommate/sister had started a diet nearly three months before I did and she was seeing results. I downloaded the app- MyFitness Pal - and started using it. And before too long, I too started seeing some results.

Let me explain how it works, if I can. With this app, you input your information (height, weight, activity level, and how much weight you want to lose per week). Based on that, it tells you how many calories you can safely consume each day in order to achieve that goal. 

Working on a credit/debit system essentially, the app can also calculate how many calories you burn from doing exercise. When that's added in, it subtracts from the food you've eaten for the day, and gives you your net. And if you're around a 3,500 calorie average under your recommended calories per week, you can lose a pound (3,500 cals=1lb).

There are many more features, but it would literally take me all morning to explain it all. But suffice it to say that this app works. It doesn't even feel like I'm on a diet. I haven't given up any of the foods I love, and I'm still able to lose weight. I've gotten better at portion control, and because of that, my favourite treats aren't going anywhere.

If you're struggling with your weight, I know how you feel. You may think you can't do it; that it's too hard. Trust me, it's not. This app helps keep you in line, shows you everything in black and white, making you more accountable. For me it was a matter of portion control and actually being more physically active. That's it. No tricks or gimmicks. You don't have to go on some crazy fad diet to lose weight.

It's been over 4 months (127 days) now, and I'm feeling absolutely amazing. The more weight I lose, the better I feel. I have a long way to go to reach my goal of 150lbs, but I know that if I stick with it, I can achieve it.

And today was weigh in day. I wasn't sure how much I'd lost, if any, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw a loss on that scale!

Weight lost this week: 1.2lbs
Total weight loss to date: 31.2lbs
Current weight: 220.2lbs

If you need encouragement, feel free to leave me a comment here. I feel thankful to those who have supported me in thus journey thus far- my family, my roomie/sis, and especially Mark Hiscock of Shanneyganock - who all continue to cheer me on. It really means the world to me that I have this much support. Thank you all.

Cheers,
Krista

1 comment:

  1. You're doing brilliantly, Krista. Well done indeed. Is the app available for Android and where can I find it. Sounds like just the thing to get me back on track. Back problems have made it difficult to get about lately so it becomes a vicious circle after awhile. Love your blog. Take care. Cherrylm.

    ReplyDelete