Wednesday, October 23, 2013

It's Been Awhile... Again

So admittedly, it's been a long time since I last wrote here. My computer is currently not working, so until I discovered the Blogger app, I was without means of being able to post. But now that I have this app, blog I must.

So much has happened since I last posted. Too much to describe in full detail really, so I'll just do a simple recap to catch you all up.

-2012-

July- moved into the new apartment a couple of weeks ago. Really bright and cozy here. All hands are happy. Visit Garden Cove for Garden Cove Day, and a couple special guests show up. Everyone is thrilled, including yours truly!



August- Early August brings a GBS show in Torbay, and new friends. Roomie/sis and I met up with Anna and her partner Dara before the show, and have a blast. We all travel to the show together, and seeing the joy on the faces of my new friends makes the show extra special. What makes it even more special is that former bass player, Darrell Power, returns for a couple tunes. Here's a pic of him and Alan singing together that I managed to capture (that later made it into The Newfoundland Herald). 


Late August- The final countdown to my nephew, due August 23rd. Can't wait to meet the little guy- I fell in love with him on the ultrasound! He finally arrives on August 28th, and is named Caleb David. He weighs in at 10lbs 8oz, and measures 22 inches. Just a whole lot more to love!

September brings about my first birthday in this place, and it's celebrated with family. Not too bad a day overall. A week later, Síle and I head to St. John's- Jeremy Fisher and Séan McCann are playing at The Ship, and we couldn't miss it! Everyone has a great time, Séan stops singing while me, Amelia and Síle continue. He's visibly impressed, though I'm not sure why. Meet him and Jeremy after the show. Really great guys. Oh, and did I mention that this guy was there? 

If you can't plainly tell, that's Alan, who had showed up for Séan's set. I gave him pictures from July that his parents had wanted, and then we chat and after several attempts (the above being the first), we get a good picture together. Perfect night.

October marks the release of the GBSXX box set (For those not in the know, GBS is Great Big Sea, and March 11, 2013 marked their 20th anniversary as a band). Both Síle and I grab it, and agree that it's worth it's price tag. Three CDs, a DVD, a book, a calendar and lots of other goodies. Perfect collectible for the diehard GBS fan.

November- Séan comes to Clarenville, opening for Joel Plaskett. When we sing the chorus to a new song, Séan is impressed. Talks to us from the stage. After the show, we chat with him, give him cookies, he signs our box sets, and we got pictures (if you're Facebook friends with me, you'll have seen them. I promise to post them here at some point.)! Overall, a fantastic night.

December, perhaps my favourite time of year! Finish the shopping, and there are Christmas concerts to attend. First up, The Once! If you haven't checked them out, you should! Lead singer Geraldine Hollett is as sweet as they come! 

Next up, The Irish Descendants & Navigators Celtic Christmas. In what's now become a Christmas tradition, the two bands fronted by Con (Irish Descendants) and Arthur (The Navigators) O'Brien perform classic Christmas tunes, some covers, some originals and sprinkle in some fan favourites. Show that year was delayed by a tragedy, and we take a moment of silence for the young girl killed. 

Christmas at home- food, family, and presents. Who could ask for more?

Okay, so that brings us up to 2013, which I'll do as quick as possible. Meet my nephew for the first time in March and fall in love all over again! GBS show in April, some scary family shit, Cuddles gets killed in May while a friend is visiting. Get words of encouragement from Alan & Séan (see below).





Get inked in June and get a new kitten, Charlie. 



Apartment is making us sick, landlord isn't doing much. Another GBS show in August, this time George Street. Joined the Cocksure Lads Street team- promoting Murray's 60's Brit Pop band. Meet him before the show and have a fab chat. Stayed in for the regatta- dunk tank, good food, boat races... we have a great time. Spend my birthday in September in St. John's- Leo's, shopping, and Erin's Pub. There are lots of birthday messages, including ones from Alan & Murray of GBS. Share cake with a fellow bday girl at Erin's, bartender gives me a bag of Cheesies, says its on him. Have a few drinks, and a fab night. Amelia caps it off by getting me a copy of an unreleased as of yet cd, straight from the artist. Couldn't ask for any better.




So that brings us up to now- a nearly six month old kitten, 30lbs lost (since June), and happy times ahead. To those who have been there for me, thank you. You're the best friends and family a girl could ask for! 

Krista 

No comments:

Post a Comment