Monday, October 28, 2013

If you can't say anything nice...

So, I'm watching videos on YouTube, and for a laugh, I decided to check the comments on the video I was watching, Alan Doyle singing his original song "Where the Nightingales Sing" on Q. And I could not believe what I read. Take a look:


Now if any of you know me in real life, you'll know that there isn't much that upsets me. But, a sure fire way to get me riled up is to insult my friends, family, Great Big Sea, and Alan. 

If you don't like the man or his singing, why comment? It just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. Maybe it's just common sense or something- which most people nowadays sadly seem to lack- but why waste so much time on negativity? If you don't like him, that's all well and good. I've no issue with that. If you don't like Great Big Sea, there's nothing wrong with that either. The world would be a pretty boring place if we all liked the same things.

My issue lies with the negativity. This guy (or girl, not really sure) isn't very smart if he/she thinks that "the vast majority of people in this country neither love nor hate him or his music." Um, what? Really? When did this person start speaking for the rest of us? I have my own voice, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let some jealous wannabe, thinks they know it all, speak for me. 

Mediocre talent? Please. If he was mediocre, why would a major record label sign him? Answer me thaf. If nobody loves or hates him, how has his band sold well over a million records and had countless gold or platinum records over the years? How do they continue to sell out show after show on the majority of their tours?

Maybe I'm making something out of nothing here. Most people will say "he/they can defend themselves", but this sort of negativity to a artist/band that has brought much joy to many people...well, it angers me. Another person said she loved the song, would even use it as a first dance song at her wedding- if it was "sung by someone with a 'smoother' voice." Again, I'm dumbfounded. If you're a true fan at all, you know that the roughness in Alan's voice is just a part of what makes his voice so unique. To go bashing someone who can't defend themselves, it's uncalled for. 

I know Alan is a grown man, and can defend himself if need be. I just think the negativity among these commenters needs to stop. Where the Nightingales Sing (done here with an orchestra- http://youtu.be/SEoqX6pp6is *this is not the video under which negative comments appeared*) is a lovely song, with an even more beautiful sentiment. A man who wanted to write a waltz (cause hardly anyone does anymore), because he wanted his mom to be proud. And I'm willing to bet that no matter what, she is.

Here's what I said in reply to the negative comments:


My advice? Save your negativity for someone who actually cares and somewhere it applies; don't use it on someone who has brought much joy to many people. 


Your thoughts? 
Did I go too far? Maybe. 
But do I care? No. 

Negative people just need to keep their comments to themselves, because 99.999% of us really don't want to hear them. 




No comments:

Post a Comment