Monday, March 28, 2011

An Ode to Ordinary Day

This poem came to me one day when I was still living in Garden Cove. Its about the song that saved my life.

I hear that familiar chorus like so many times before
"Way hey hey its just an ordinary day"
And just like all the other times, it helps me once more
"And its all your state of mind" it says, I do believe that now;
If we put a positive spin on things they'll turn out better somehow
And that "At the end of the day you've just got to say it's alright"
When I hear those words it gives me the strength to fight
Just like Janie, I won't quit; push me, hurt me, but I'll get back up again
For I've lost so many other times, now is my time to win
It's all in how you look at it, that's what the song is saying
So I'll keep myself positive to keep myself from caving
I've got to stay strong, not let others get me down
On my face I want to have a smile instead of a frown
I'm a fighter, not a quitter, my destiny is mine
I will decide how my life will be- it is my time to shine
So when I hear that familiar chorus I'll have a smile on my face
For life is what we make it, it's not all up to fate
It is truly up to us if we sink or swim
If we resign ourselves to losing, we will never ever win
For no matter how bad things may be for you or me
There is always someone hurting more; who just longs to be happy
So if the day seems hopeless, feels like a lost cause
Just remember those simple words and take a little pause,
For it's not as bad as we think it is although it feels like we're sinking
Don't give up the fight, don't ever quit
For it is when we are sinking that we truly learn to swim

2 comments: