Thursday, March 24, 2011

step it out mary...

So, I can't sleep. For those of you who know me, that's not a big shocker. But tonight I have a really good reason for the restlessness. I, just a little over an hour ago, got back from a night out at Flannigan's (a really awesome pub in Clarenville) where I saw the Irish Descendants play!

For those of you who know it, I make no secret of being an Irish Descendants fan. I pretty much grew up listening to these guys. They were always on the Irish Newfoundland show on Saturdays, and my Dad always had it on, plus he had several of their records. Needless to say that I inherited my father's love of music.

This was not the first time I have seen the Irish Descendants play here in Clarenville. In fact, its the third time. In 9 months. Safe to say, I think, that they like playing here. Good fans, good crowds, and always a good turn out. I haven't missed a show of theirs here in Clarenville since June. Really love these guys.

They opened with Mick Maguire, and then they did a lot of my favourites: Dirty Old Town, Rattlin Bog, Barrett's Privateers, Galway Girl, I'se The B'y, Peter Street, Irish Rover, Catch the Wind, Black Velvet Band, Whiskey in the Jar, Wild Rover, Rocky Road to Dublin, Black and Tans, Sam Hall ( a request from one of the barmaids) and so on. They also did some new tunes: Jim Harris, and Fortune Harbour, along with some songs I don't remember. There were also a lot of instrumental tunes, and some jigs and reels. I remember Tell Me Ma at some point, and more will come back to me, I'm sure!

I wasn't there very long (got there before the show started) that a band member noticed me. Robert. So he stopped and said hi, and we chatted a few minutes. Dave saw me too, and on his way to the stage also offered a hello, as did Kelly. When Con saw me, he stopped, put an arm around me, and said with a smile "Hey, you, how are ya?" Safe to say he knows who I am! :)

Con talked to me and some other fans in between sets, and we were soon joined by Kelly Russell, fiddle player, and talented musician extraordinaire. My GBS friends will recognize the name from Sean McCann's solo second effort, Son of a Sailor. Robert played on there too, but I digress. Con got to teasing me a little bit, which I don't mind. He knows my love of all things GBS, and he always plays on it. It's all in good fun, and I don't mind it at all. I enjoy getting to spend time with Con. I think he is a legend on the Newfoundland music scene. I admire him.

I had more drinks than I have ever drank before, and I honestly had the best time of my life. After the show, Robert signed my CD (Con, Dave, and Kelly had already done so) and I got a picture with both him and Con. 








In talking to Robert, I learned that I may be related to him as he has family in Joe Batts Arm, in Fogo. My Pop is from there. Decker. Robert's grandmother was a Decker. Since all Deckers in JBA are related, there is a good chance that I am related to him. I like that. I have a talented, and hot bass player in my family. Damn, I hate that he's related. He's such a damn hottie.

I think I learned something important tonight. Pub shows are fun. Better interaction with the band. More intimate, and drinks are easier to get. I drank more than ever I did before, but that's alright. One needs to let loose and have fun sometimes, and that is honestly the most fun night I had since Wolf died. She would have loved the show tonight.

Oh yeah, got lots of pics, and two videos (Catch the Wind and Peter Street). Will upload them soon. Can't with my computer. SD card slot doesn't work.

Hope you all had a good night too.

Cheers!

(P.S. The $20 ticket price included a CD which is a compilation of new and old songs. It's pretty good so far.)

(P.P.S. Everyone in the band used my sharpie tonight to sign CDs. Good thing I brought it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment