Friday, April 22, 2011

the finger seen round the world (that's got me seeing red)


Got a quick question for anyone reading. How does one accidentally give the middle finger to someone else. I always thought a middle finger was something that was meant to be given. I know I've never given it "accidentally".

The player, one Andrew Ference, gave this one fingered salute to the Montreal Crowd tonight, after scoring. Celebrate if you must, after a goal. Nothing wrong with that at all. But it is my honest opinion that gestures such as these do not belong in hockey. 

It was put to me that if it was Montreal who did this to Boston fans, I would be alright with it. Not the case whatsoever. I think rude and obscene gestures do not belong in the NHL, and it doesn't matter one bit who does it, rival or otherwise. It's just wrong. And just because I may say something obscene or offensive does not mean that I condone the use of such conduct in the league.

Said player said "It looks awful, and I apologize. It's not who I am." Also says that he accidentally gave the finger to the crowd when making a fist. Y'know Mr. Ference, as much as I want to believe that, I cannot. I do not believe for one second that you accidentally gave that middle finger to the Montreal faithful. You remind me of a little kid who thinks that saying sorry will make it all better. I hope the NHL punishes your sorry ass.

So I'll put the question out there once more. How is this an accident? Reflexes? Nah. This was no accident. This was intentional. Take a look and judge for yourselves:















ETA: They're now calling it an equipment issue? I wish the Bruins would stop making excuses!


ETA2: Ference was fined $2,500 by the NHL. Was it enough?


Let me know your responses, but here's some ideas:


Yes, it was enough.
No, should have had a suspension too.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, it doesn't really matter if it was an accident or not. There is photo evidence and it happened. So if in fact, a Habs player did the same thing, and was fined for it, then Ference should receive the same fine. No more, no less. Fair is fair. Because whether it was an accident or intentional, it happened. Period. Excuses don't change reality.

    ReplyDelete